Ground Has Been Broken on the New Leadership Center
107th Annual Meeting
May 17 was an exciting day for our council! Not only was it our 107th Annual Meeting, but also the groundbreaking for the new Peter J. King Family Foundation Leadership Center. The new building will be located on our Base Camp Campus, next to the original, historic team building that thousands of youth have already taken advantage of.
This new building will serve as a single headquarters for our council and will be a beacon of leadership training for all youth of our community. It will feature a special Leadership Lab that participants will enter through a high tech, enhanced-reality "Leadership Chamber Room" for an immersive experience, setting the stage for training.
Highlights of the Day
The morning kicked off with youth speaker Akul Seshadri of Troop 9060. Akul told his personal story of leadership and teamwork at Grey Wolf and Philmont, a hiking trip that many Scouts will agree can be challenging.
Co-Chairs of the "Leaders. For Life. Capital Campaign - Fritz Corrigan, Board Member and Alan Bernick, Council President - shared their appreciation, thanking the donors and fellow campaign leaders who made this day possible.
Russell King, President of the the Peter J. King Foundation, for which the new Leadership Center is named, spoke on behalf of donors about the importance of leadership and of training young people to become leaders. The King Foundation's $4 million gift is the single largest donation in our council's history.
Hard hats were donned and golden shovels lifted by nineteen members of the campaign team who officially broke ground for the new building,
Immediately following groundbreaking, participants moved inside the original Base Camp building for the 107th Council Annual Meeting to begin. Highlights included:
- A new Video highlighting some of what the new Leadership Center will offer
- Four ongoing business resolutions were passed
- New Board Members were installed:
- Outgoing officers Dan Segersin, VP Membership and Skip Krawczyk, VP Development were recognized
- Veteran Scouters Barbara Herrmann, Melvin Hoagland and Al Linder joined the ranks of Honorary Life Members
- Outgoing Council Commissioner Brian Bullock was recognized
- Four $1,000 Eagle Scout Scholarships and one Venturing Scholarship were presented to outstanding, local Scouts
- The gavel was passed by outgoing Council President Alan Bernick to incoming Council President Bill Brody
- Video highlights of the past year were shown
Pictures from Groundbreaking and Annual Meeting - Leadership Center Details
See lots of pictures from the Leadership Center Groundbreaking and the Annual Meeting below. If you'd like to learn more about the Leadership Center, we have a special page set-up with videos, photos, and details.
Learn More About the Leadership Center